Start a new topic

US - New England

I'm in the Boston, MA area.  others?

2 people like this idea

Doodle is a great idea.  I just filled it out.

We can keep the meeting informal this time. I also know that people have been desiring En-ROADS practice, so if someone wants to "be a facilitator" for 5-10 minutes, we could do all listen and give constructive feedback.  I guess it might be like Toast Masters.  A possibility if there is a volunteer.

I have filled out the Doodle poll.  I could set up a Zoom session for us and post it on this discussion.

I am in Rhode Island. I sent times in for a virtual meet up on the Doodle poll but i am over 70 a tech neanderthal and not sure how i would connect for such an event. if someone can fill me in that would be great.

Geoff -- I'm happy to help.  I'll follow up with you via email.

So far Thurs 3/19 at 6:30-7:30 is the clear winner, works for all 6 that have filled out the poll. Please save that date. 

I'd like to talk about running En-ROADS events purely online. Workshop could be on any video conference tool you're comfortable with, while Zoom with the breakout room feature would enable the game.

Here is a Zoom link we can use on March 19th at 6:30pm.  I will be using the breakout room feature when my classes begin to meet virtually the following week.  This will be good practice for me.  

I am also happy  to help anyone not familiar with Zoom get going on it.

Tamara Ledley is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: En-ROADS New England

Time: Mar 19, 2020 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://bentley.zoom.us/j/741640831

Meeting ID: 741 640 831

One tap mobile

+16468769923,,741640831# US (New York)

+16699006833,,741640831# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location

+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 741 640 831

Find your local number: https://bentley.zoom.us/u/ahVoI3Uoq

1 person likes this

A number of us met last Thursday to discuss implementing En-ROADS in a virtual setting.  Thanks everyone who participated.  It was great to meet others implementing En-ROADS in various contexts.

I will be facilitating the En-ROADS simulation or workshop in my two classes on April 17th.  This was to be an in person exercise.  However, with all classes being moved online I will be doing my first implementation virtually.  I would greatly appreciate any guidance any of you can provide to help me do this successfully.  

Here is a Doodle poll to try to find a time that we can talk.  https://doodle.com/poll/s8i5n99xf3azbp7c. Once we have a time I will post a Zoom link we can use for our meeting.  Thanks, Tamara 

Meeting and "seeing" everyone last week was great.  Hope more people can make the next meeting up!

Travis

Based on our Doodle Poll our next En-ROADS New England Meet up will be on Monday April 13, 2020 at 4pm.   Everyone is welcome to join even if you did not fill in the poll.

The Zoom connection information is 

Tamara Ledley is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: En-ROADS New England Meet Up

Join Zoom Meeting

https://bentley.zoom.us/j/572358825

Meeting ID: 572 358 825

One tap mobile

+16468769923,,572358825# US (New York)

+13126266799,,572358825# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

+1 253 215 8782 US

+1 301 715 8592 US

+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

Find your local number: https://bentley.zoom.us/u/ahVoI3Uoq

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to put this out so I am sending it to this forum. They are three concerns regarding the presentation.

First, in the slide that we can use to introduce the program all but one that frame the problem show the effects of sea level rise. However, bringing temps down to 2 degrees of less decrease sea level rise from 1.2 to 1 meter. Is that really significant. (From the slides that means we will be able to see the horns on the bull on Wall Street.) These changes can be very graphically illustrated so I get why they are chosen. Does anyone have ideas of pictures that can be clearly linked to climate change and clearly indicate improvement with temperature mitigation?

Second, I recently finished the climate justice webinar. I agree with its principles and in addition agree that it a way of creating a broader constituency. However, there are clearly constituencies that are going to be hurt by these changes. Coal miners feel threatened not merely for their jobs but also for their culture. Others from dairy farmers to automotive mechanics could feel a pinch. Then of course there are fossil fuel corporations that I am told are rich and powerful.

It would seem to me that at least acknowledging and trying to identify who they are if not coming up with strategies to mitigate their concerns.

Third, I ran a one on one zoom presentation with a friend. He is something of a contrarian which is actually helpful to find problems. For all fossil fuels he used the stop utilization 100% starting 2020. that of course had a great effect but would of course shut down the economy about as effectively as Covid 19. he said if it is on the scenario then it is fair game. My comment was that people wouldn't bring that to the table because of its consequences but if someone did it is up to the moderator to explore those consequences and see if the group would endorse those changes. That still begs the question as to whether such drastic scenarios should be available.

Geoff Berg

Geoff,

We're using this particular forum for organizing New England based events.  

I think you'll have better engagement and more responses if you post this message in the main En-ROADS forum, here:

https://support.climateinteractive.org/support/discussions/forums/47000326051

Best,

Travis

I'm in training in the Albany area.  Saw Sean's presentation at the CCL conference.  Great job, Sean.

I am looking forward to talking to everyone who can make our En-ROADS Meet Up this afternoon at 4pm.  The connection information - which I posted in an earlier comment above a couple of weeks ago is here.

Topic: En-ROADS New England Meet Up

Join Zoom Meeting

https://bentley.zoom.us/j/572358825

One tap mobile

+16468769923,,572358825# US (New York)

I ran my two Climate Solutions Workshop for my two classes last Friday.  It went very well.  Thanks to Jillian James for sitting in and providing some feedback afterwards.

I will be running the workshop in 60 minutes this coming July for a group of teachers (number unknown as of now) who will be participating in the Earth Science Information Partners meeting which is being done virtually for the first time.

I welcome any suggestions on running this with teachers.

1 person likes this

I've arranged an online En-ROADS workshop, open to the public, sponsored by the excellent Boston Area Sustainability Group (BASG) on Tuesday June 2, 6:00-7:30 pm.  

Register on Eventbrite. 

I'm seeking a few co-facilitators. Anticipating it will be a large (100+) group -- we may try to split into some facilitated breakouts midway through to give people more personalized Q&A attention on their way to  <2C.  Email me at curt@curtnewton.com if you'd like to help.

Login or Signup to post a comment